Friday, July 8, 2011

Do you like Star Trek?

"Do you like Star Trek?"
Those were the first words I spoke to my future husband back in 1987. There could not have been a better pick-up line. I don't think, "Wanna get naked?" could have gone over any better. We'd crossed paths before in college classes. He remembers me as the girl who wouldn't stop asking questions in class. That does sound about right. What brought us together was Darlene Schute using both of us as actors in her class project for TV Production 201. Tim played a geek that I had the misfortune to date. He wore his own pocket protector and Coke-bottle glasses for that role. After we finished the shoot, I was done in the edit suite area of West Hall where students worked on video projects. Tim was copying a VHS episode of the Star Trek : The Next Generation pilot "Encounter at Far Point."



I said. "Do you like Star Trek? I love Star Trek."

And we went on to have a conversation about Max Headroom


The CBS TV show Beauty & The Beast with Ron Perlman and pre-Terminator Linda Hamilton


And the little-know 1970s cartoon show "The Funky Phantom."


I went home and told my college roommate and best friend since age 5 that I was going to marry the guy I was in the video with.
 She said, "You're going to marry Darlene's geek?"
Of course he was no longer Darlene's geek, but mine.
I said. "Yep. He's the only guy I ever met that I liked more AFTER he started talking."
She said. "No way."
I said, "Bet you five bucks."

Here I am on the day I collected on that bet.


I rubbed it in by making her wear a peach satin dress with a big bow on the butt. 


The groomsmen got Star Trek Communicator badges as gifts. I won't say which one is the groom because he prefers not to be identified in photos. (But think: Red Shirt) 

And we lived geekily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment